Daily Current Affairs [See More Affairs]
Hollywood Actor George Clooney awards new humanitarian prize to Burundi Orphanage Founder
A Burundian activist Marguerite Barankitse awarded First Humanitarian Prize with saving thousands of children during a 12-year civil war
Venue: Yerevan, Armenia
Presented by: Hollywood actor and Activist George Clooney
About George Clooney
· American Based George Timothy Clooney is an actor, filmmaker and activist
· He was awarded Three Golden Globe awards and Two Academy Awards
About Marguerite Barankitse
A former teacher, founded the Maison Shalom (the house of peace) orphanage in eastern Burundi in 1993 to help number of children orphaned during 2005 while country was in conflicts.
· She is the first recipient of a new humanitarian prize
· The award was presented as Burundi faces its worst crisis since the civil war ended with hundreds killed and thousands were forced to flee from the country.
After receiving the award Barankitse expressed that “Our values are human values”
· Burundi’s civil war eroded by Tutsi-led army against Hutu rebel groups
· Barankitse who is Tutsi, started to care for orphans and refugees following to hide dozens of her Hutu neighbours and went vain. They were discovered and stripped and tied to a chair, was forced to watch them hacked to death
· But she continued her work and helped more than 20,000 orphans and other children and in 2008 opened a hospital where treatment was given to 80,000 patients.
· She will receive a $100,000 and decides to donate an extra $1 million award to organisations that help children.
Daily Articles [See More Articles]
1. Chicken pox virus? varicella zoster virus (VZV)
2. Commonwealth game first time in India in which year? 2010
3. Date to change Pre 2005 notes? June 30, 2016
4. 1 rupee note bears signature of? Finance Secretary
5. First women President of congress? Annie Besant
6. Chemotherapy is used for treatment of? Cancer
7. First women to win gold medal in boxing? Nicola Adams
8. Arunachal Pradesh capital? Guwahati
9. Jalikattu game played in which state? Tamil Nadu
10. 15th PM of India? Narendra Modi